A "Special" Holiday

      I'm grateful I'm being locked down this holiday. Don't get me wrong, I love to travel, but when I saw the Christmas tree they chose for Rockefeller Center, I knew staying home was the best thing for me. I thought perhaps it was saved from the fires out West. I heard, though, that it was only damaged in either transit or installation. Thankfully no one was hurt in this process. At least they got it up. I know that I for one am glad they could save it. Seeing it there like that made me truly appreciate living here. We don't need to import our trees because there are so many here. Our trees may not be visited by millions but they don't embarrass us. This poor tree looked embarrassed to be there. It's a wonder that such a miracle was brought to New York. I bet it looked lovely before they cut it down. It made me glad to stay home. I felt at once sad and happy. I am grateful not to travel to New York this season to see that poor tree.

Thank God Governor Wolf is keeping us safe by telling us not to travel. He's right. It's a dangerous world we live in. I am happy to stay home with my five other family members, hand chosen for this holiday. Poor Aunt Ruth. She grabbed the short straw. I told her I'd make her a special plate. She said in all her 85 years, no one ever made her a special plate before. She teared up, thinking of how special we all thought she was. Six really is the perfect number though. Anymore than that and I end up either standing all day in the kitchen or sitting on the floor. I'm too old for either of those. It is so much better knowing we can easily stretch out after a big meal. Normally we crowd into the kitchen, bumping elbows, as one by one the kids run by, chasing their cousins. The noise is terrible! I prefer peace and quiet. Catching up with family is such a chore. It's better to visit them virtually on Zoom. Saves me from having to get fully dressed. Oh, and thank goodness for masks because you know what happens after eating turkey! I'm grateful Uncle Frank can't be here this year because last year he nearly killed us all because of that second helping. Speaking of which, gas prices are too high anyway to warrant travel. I can't in good conscience go anywhere outside my state. I am grateful we have a governor who is concerned for our welfare so much that, to keep us safe, raises taxes to ensure we don't. It is refreshing to have leaders like that because Lord knows my excitement for going places outweighs my common sense. He is literally saving me from myself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not the About the Destination

The Luxury of Time

My Happiness Machine