Decisions are like cucumbers
Someone, not mentioning any names, asked me recently why I always have to be different. What's wrong with the tried and true? I swear I probably looked at him like he had two heads when I heard this. Do I ever just do what everyone else does? The thought literally made my head spin and put my mind to work to try to answer that question. It's like someone asking you, "What makes you tick?" Seemingly dropping the subject, I went about my business, never commenting. But the idea stuck in my brain and bored a hole where it sat.
While making dinner, I thought about this. First of all, it was originally a comment about cucumbers. I tried a different variety this year. Well, pretty much everything in my garden was different this year. The cucumbers were my first decision though. I came across some interesting varieties, like Lemon Cucumber and White Wonder. Now don't get me started on how that last one probably irks some folks just upon hearing its name. I know, I get it (well, actually I don't, but...), but this was all decided before that craziness. These are just cucumbers, which in case you didn't know, are normally green. These, as you would expect, have a white exterior. They were supposed to also have a different flavor from your normal, run-of-the-mill cucumber. I was intrigued. I dreamt about what they might taste like and decided, "What the heck! Let's give it a try!" So I did. Simple as that. Now, you might be thinking, what's the big deal? It's only a cucumber, right? The answer, or my response, is I never think something is crazy when I'm in the midst of deciding. Still, a cucumber is not a risky idea. I realize this. It is, however, symbolic of how I tend to make decisions and why.
Let's go back a bit. I remember when I was 18 and getting ready to graduate. I had applied to only one school, mainly because I was naive and didn't have good advice, but also because I thought I knew what I wanted and was certain it would happen. I was accepted to this school, however my parents couldn't afford to pay for it after finding out from financial aid what they'd owe afterwards. The aid I was going to get wouldn't even come close to what was needed. I was devastated. This was my only plan and it looked like it was going to fail. I pondered my choices. I really had no Plan B at this point. I decided that maybe the military would be a good route. They advertise that the GI Bill could assist people to pay for college. My mom had been in the Air Force and both my dad and brother had gone the Navy route. As someone who felt she had good taste, I couldn't in good conscience sign up to wear denim bell bottoms and a weird dog dish hat, even if boot camp was in Florida. So I decided that maybe the Air Force would be better. I had no idea what kind of job I would do. I was only thinking of college at the time. So, I went to the recruiting office to talk to an Air Force recruiter. Apparently, Air Force personnel get a very long lunch break. I should have taken this as a good sign, but I was probably too stupid to realize this at the moment. I waited for quite a while for them to return. Just when I was about to leave, a Marine recruiter stepped out of his office and asked if I ever thought of being a Marine. I honestly had never heard of women being in the Marine Corps (Remember A Few Good Men?). Well, there just happened to be a WM (Woman Marine) in the office and I went in and chatted with her for a bit, as well as the other male Marine recruiter. They said many things, like how Marines are not like other military in that they strive to be the best. This is all I think I remembered after going home that day. The idea reverberated in my mind for days afterwards. I never thought of being a Marine before, but the thought of being "one of the few, the proud" definitely had me intrigued. This thought kind of surprised me because I had always been one to not want to stand out, to keep a low profile. I'm a quiet and introverted person, but have excelled in some areas. I was a runner and loved testing myself. Sports were always a big part of my life, even though no one else in my family really ever got into anything like I did. Being a Marine, I would have to constantly push myself. Could I do it? I couldn't really decide, however, until I eliminated the idea of the Air Force. It was still on my mind because of my mom's stories. So, I took the time to talk to the recruiters, not near lunch time, but nothing that they said compelled me to want to join. Especially when they told me there'd be at least a two year waiting period, because apparently everyone was trying to sign up. This didn't sit well with me since I was anxious for my life to move past the nothing stage I felt it was in. I decided to join the Marine Corps, excited to push myself like never before, one of the few, one of the proud. It wasn't easy, but it was very rewarding and sometimes more challenging than I ever imagined it could be. The recruiter said the chances of us going to war soon were slim in the next couple of years, but that proved to be wrong. Within my first year, our country had entered the Persian Gulf War and I was among those deployed to Saudi Arabia. It wasn't a long war, but it was enough to shake things up and make me question my decision. Every decision has a reckoning and this one seemed to be mine. I made it home, but not without some scares. I sometimes wonder if I had made the right decision, but I still feel that I did. The mindset of a Marine, I feel, is to strive to be the best. No pain, no gain. I think many decisions I make today stem from my attitude as "one of the few, one of the proud". I am not perfect, but I will give it my all. I don't quit easily. These are often good traits to have, I believe. Even in the way of finding a life partner.
I have had my ups and downs in finding someone to spend my life with. Being shy, it was often very difficult. I had several misfires, you could say. By the time I hit my 30s, I was believing I would be single the rest of my life. I gave online dating a try. My biggest asset I think was creating an interesting profile. I had quite a few hits, even without posting a photo. Most were duds though, I'm afraid. I was about ready to give up when an interesting inquiry came through. Recently separated but seemingly someone who was right up my alley: outdoorsy, funny, liked a lot of the same things. I was intrigued, but friends warned me not to do it, saying things like, "You could be getting in over your head with someone like that, you know, in that kind of situation." I nearly listened to them. In the end, I followed my heart instead of my head. It wasn't always easy, but I knew I made the right decision. That decision changed my life. I never regretted taking that chance.
Today, all of my decisions are tempered a bit by that last one. If I go too far off the rails, he brings me back. It goes both ways though. Sometimes he wants to play things too safe and I suggest we just go for it. Let's make this interesting! Life can be what you make of it and you only live once. As parents who homeschool our kids, others haven't always felt we were making the right decision. After this past couple of years though, I believe others feel we were ahead of the game and were lucky to have gone against the norm. Decisions are things that are judged by results, not by how crazy they seem at the time. I stand by the bulk of my decisions. Sure, I've made some questionable ones that turned out to be stupid. Hasn't everyone? I may not think like others all the time or do what they expect, but that is a good thing, especially at this stage in history. I have hope for our future. I have faith in God. Life may seem hopeless and things may seem scary, but I trust and believe that things will work out. Have faith. God always wins. I think he must have been a Marine!
Comments
Post a Comment