In Like a Lion, Out like Nettle

This is a new series for me. Because of endless experimenting with one herb to another, I decided it would be fun to document current and future herbs of interest. With that being said, I can't easily narrow it down to just one. I will do my best though, so bear with me.


If pressed, I think I'd say nettle is my current “favorite”. There are many that are used frequently, but this would be the one I use daily. I add it to my food and to my dog's food. I never measure, which should concern me, as I heard about a man who actually ate so much nettle that he had a green tint to his skin. Since it is nearly St. Patrick's Day, I could be a new symbol for others to raise a pint to in celebration! Not a bad thing, in my opinion. I doubt my nettle consumption is high enough to warrant a skin color change, but I try to add it to whatever I can.

Many people when I tell them I use this or that herb will then follow up with, “What's it good for?” I might ask them the same question. What are you good for? If you ask me, I might reply, “I'm good for a laugh, or so it seems.” This I am sure comes from our habit of expecting herbs to do what our medicines do. We don't take a Tylenol because we enjoy it. I can think of no medicine that I ever took for the sheer pleasure of it, although caffeine would come the closest to that. Caffeine, however, is usually taken as a drink, like coffee or tea. We DO drink those because we usually enjoy them. At least that is why I usually have them. It is a side benefit that it can help me stay awake or alert. Too much, though, can give you the jitters or cause you to not fall asleep. Nettle, on its own, is enjoyable to drink in a tea, as a vegetable in a soup, and in many other ways. It is a lovely addition to many things. My husband even enjoys the added flavor of it in his morning eggs.

It can do quite a bit for you, though, if you take it over time consistently. I suppose this is why I add it to food. It is like the perfect plant. It is kind of like me! It has a prickly exterior that keeps people at a distance. Once you get past that, it is so wonderful! It is full of vitamins and minerals, like iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, Vitamin C, and surprisingly, protein. You read that right...iron and protein. I like to call it Iron Mike (after Mike Tyson). A favorite quote of his is, “Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face.” What's that have to do with nettle? I don't know, but I always think about that when I think of nettle. It gives me a laugh, and it is SOOO true! FYI, I have NEVER actually been punched in the face, but life sometimes throws stuff at me that feels like I've been. So, for those moments, I drink some nettle tea! Try some with peppermint for an even more delightful drink!



Lastly in this nettle extravaganza, I have started using nettle in some self-care products. The one I think I do most is to put it in my shampoo from time to time. It is one that is recommended as one to use for dry hair, in concert with marshmallow and calendula. My hair isn't particularly dry, but I will nourish my hair from time to time with it. It is good to change your shampoo recipes, or alternate them, which is what I have been doing. I am not sure if the nettle itself has done anything, but my hair has never been as healthy as it is now since I've been using herbal shampoos. Nettle, along with a host of other wonderful herbs, have made my life as lovely as my hair, or maybe even more so!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not the About the Destination

The Luxury of Time

My Happiness Machine