It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

     

Unlike last month's off-the-cuff article, this month's edition is more intentional. As is the norm with my monkey brain, the more I thought about what herb to choose, the harder it was to make a decision. The decision to choose which herb happened spontaneously, as I was outside taking care of garden tasks. The “dents de lion” are popping up everywhere and here and there, the yellow blossoms appear. I don't know about you, but spring is like Christmas morning to me. I can hear, “It's the most won-der-ful time of the year. It's the hap-happiest season of all,” singing in my brain. If you can relate, you know how spring is like opening a gift every time you go outside. You never know what new plant will creep into your yard or garden. This can be annoying to some who are trying to clear space for their herb, flower, and vegetable garden, or even just grow nice patch of grass, but it can be a nice surprise if you let that go. This is also a good way to learn your herbs, if you track what is blooming through the spring and summer. Dandelion is one of the early ones, but it sticks around till fall, here in Pennsylvania. Yes, lion's teeth, or “teeth of the lion,” as dandelion has been called by the French, are sprouting everywhere the eye can see, and then some. These teeth, my friends, pack a powerhouse of a punch nutritionally. High in potassium, vitamins A, B, C, and D, they clearly are a valuable addition to your diet. The entire plant can be eaten and used medicinally. Get yourself some and spring clean your body! So many things can be aided with the help of this diminutive giant, like high blood pressure, shortness of breath, skin issues, high cholesterol, digestive issues, joint pains, fluid retention, viral infections, chronic illness, and also can be part of cancer treatments. Say what, you say? Yep. That isn't even a complete list of all their wonderful attributes.

Not everyone may enjoy them, though, as my husband seems to have a bit of an allergy to these nutritious leaves. So, buyer beware! If you are not sure of allergies, try a little rather than a lot before tempting fate. If no negative reaction occurs, like a tickle in the throat or other ragweed inspired drippings, go have yourself a little dose of sunshine. Some enjoy them with a bacon laden dressing, but I prefer to lighten things up with lemon juice, olive oil and a little je ne sais quoi. I can just taste that springtime goodness! You know what is perhaps the best thing about them? They're absolutely free! I saw my neighbor last spring carrying around a bucket filled with the carcasses of deceased dandelions. I took them off his hands as he told me the sad story about how these plants, or their kin, often choked his attempts at mowing through his youth. My tears failed to fall as the story continued. Sadly, this sentiment is all too common. Americans have been duped into thinking green lawns are superior to lawns filled with dandelions and other beautiful and healthy plants. I could go on and on about this, but since this is April, the month of Easter and forgiveness, I won't. You may not forgive me once I step onto my soapbox. We need to demand their return, for they deserve an encore performance.

There are so many wonderful things about dandelion. I don't even know where to begin. Spring is the best time for their young, tender greens and bright yellow flowers. Last year, I made a very lovely jelly using the flowers. If you want to do this, pick a nice sunny day in early spring, and harvest as many of the flowers as you can. Make sure it isn't too early, as it is best to get them when they are dry. I know from experience that it can take quite a few to make a batch, so recruit help if possible. Have a basket on hand to put them in, unless you prefer to practice the act of juggling. Why not? The neighbors need some entertainment. The flowers can also be tossed in flour and you can fry them up like a tempura. You could throw them in a salad too. You might want to look for other springtime herbs to throw in with them, like nettles, violets or chickweed, if any are available for the picking. I love exploring the yard to see what is springing up (Sorry for the blatant pun!). Like I said, it really IS the most wonderful time of year, and dandelions help to make it a healthy one too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not the About the Destination

The Luxury of Time

My Happiness Machine