Hi-Oh, Silver! : A Cautionary Tale

 Sometimes you just stumble upon something and get all giddy, or is that just me? That's what happened when I came across this herb the other night when I was out walking. After "discovering" it, I wondered if it was there all the time and I just wasn't looking. Are you like me and start noticing things more after you see them elsewhere? It's like never seeing how many gray cars there are on road until you have one. This seems to be how it is with me and herbs. Once I see it in the wild, or in a garden, I know it and start noticing it everywhere. By the way, how am I doing creating suspense for this month's herb of the month? Can you guess? 

Well, the herb in question is horsetail. The title hinted but maybe only someone who grew up with someone else who loved The Lone Ranger would know that! The Lone Ranger's beloved horse and partner was Silver, hence my title. I know, I entertain myself if no one else. Anyway, horsetail has been on my list of herbs to obtain for a while now. I have read that it's pretty common, but for some reason, I never seemed to find any. Until now! So, I was pretty excited when I stumbled upon it. I mean, not literally, but all my walking involves testing my current plant knowledge and in looking at higher plants, I found my eyes drawn down at this shaggy looking stuff that turned out to be, you guessed it, horsetail. Now, what is the big deal with horsetail anyway, you might ask. Well, glad you asked.

Horsetail has some unique properties. For one, it is said to have the highest amount of silica in any known plant. Silica is what your body needs to make collagen, something that so many people today take to try to look young. It helps promote hair growth and also enhances skin and nails. It is needed in bones, cartilage, ligaments and connective tissues. There are also other minerals like potassium, selenium and manganese, as well as a high amount of calcium. What's not to love? Well, more on that later (remember the title?). This equine herb is just the guy all the girls want to invite to their party! Especially the older gals, right? There is so much to love, but wait, there's more. 



Horsetail is anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antimicrobial and helps treat and prevent infections. It can help with respiratory ailments and can boost immunity with its antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It is said to increase cognitive abilities and is used by people with dementia and Alzheimer's disease. It can also balance insulin levels in the body and help those with diabetes. These are just some of its many attributes.  Is there nothing it can't do?

Above all, horsetail needs to be used in moderation. Individuals who are pregnant or nursing should not use it. Others who have deficiencies in thiamine may want to also be cautious. No one should use it continuously as a staple. Long term use can cause side effects, like potassium and thiamine deficiency, lowered blood sugar levels, kidney irritation, among other things. It's always good to err on the side of caution, even with herbs that provide such wonderful things.

How can we use this wonderful herb? Well, you can use it as a tea, for starters (recipe below). This could help skin, hair and nails all at once, as well as some of the other benefits some may be looking for. If you prefer to use it externally, you can first make a tea, then use it as a shampoo or conditioner for your hair, or as a soak for skin (because of its anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties to help with infections). You might also use as a healing balm due to it's wound healing properties, or as a tooth powder to help with cavities and repair enamel. If you have hair loss or pattern baldness, you could use horsetail in a scalp treatment. Tinctures of horsetail can also be made if you prefer taking it that way instead of tea. There seems to be many ways to use this very beneficial herb. So, get out there and get on that horse!

                                        Horsetail Tea

2-4 tsp dried horsetail (chopped)

1 c. boiling water

Let steep 15-20 minutes. Strain. Enjoy with or without honey.

If using as hair rinse/shampoo, allow to cool (don't add honey!). Rinse through hair and leave in 15-20 minutes. Then rinse hair and care for as usual. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not the About the Destination

The Luxury of Time

My Happiness Machine