Beyond Fire Cider

 'Tis the season of craziness, or fall as others may know it. It's a busy time of year for gardeners, even busier perhaps for the gardening herbalist. Fall is not only a season of harvest, it is also the preparation for winter season, the preservation season, and for some, the cold and flu remedy making season.  Many people these days have heard of fire cider and may even have attempted, or been gifted, some to help them get through the winter months. I know that since going down this road of discovery in the herbal arts, I have come across many remedies and aids that I previously had never heard of. It isn't as convenient, mind you, as running to the store when you get sick or another family member does though. Many of the remedies, but not all, take weeks to infuse. They will not help you if you wait till you feel something coming on to start preparing them. Our society has trained us to rely on quick, prepared "fixes" like cough syrups, decongestants, cough drops, sprays and the like that are found at the pharmacies, and we are told that there really isn't a cure for these things. However, if you understand the things happening in your body, effective remedies can be made, by you, and you may never have to make another trip to the drug store. Funny term, isn't it, "drug store"? Having prepared "fixes" readily available, we have become addicted to convenience. Anyway, I like to think ahead and get ready for the most likely inevitable bout of colds and maybe flus. Don't be like the grasshopper and play, play, play, oblivious to the coming times. Like Franklin said, "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." So, if you are like me, you can be like the ant, not the grasshopper. I will give you some ideas to help you prepare for this season, taking you beyond the commonly known remedies, which will hopefully help you be better prepared for anything that comes your way.   

Homemade kimchi

The first remedy I made was kimchi. It is a fermented food and is a probiotic. Eating this regularly can help your immune system fight off or prevent colds. You want to know what makes it a great remedy? It is delicious! Okay, some of you may disagree. It can be made to your liking if you make it yourself, and the spicy goodness can help clear up those sinuses! Not only that, but the raw garlic can help kick out infections. I also made sauerkraut, another probiotic, but I don't find that it packs as big a punch as the kimchi. I make these this time of year because of cabbage being in season and you can get some very nice heads for pretty cheap (at least in my neck of the woods). I am also drying my own cayenne this year, which can be put in the kimchi, along with carrots from my harvest. Fire cider also uses some of these ingredients, like cayenne and garlic, which can also loosen congestion with self-grated horseradish, freshly cut ginger, onions, and herbs like rosemary, sage and thyme. Add to that some homemade apple cider vinegar and you have yourself a cold and flu powerhouse of a remedy. I have been making fire cider this year as I have jars available. Availability this year is a huge issue for me because I've been growing more and doing more with everything. That's a good thing in my opinion. 

So, going beyond the fire cider and probiotics, I will delve a bit into some other things you can do to prepare for this most unlovely season of sneezing and clogged sinuses. First of all, I might suggest a humidifier. The air we breathe inside is much drier this time of year and since we are not getting out as much, we are suffering the effects of that drier air. I know I am anyway, already. I have to remind myself to do steams. Bee balm and thyme are good herbs to try here. They can also be made into a tea for a bit of steamy decongesting via cup. A steam can be made very simply by pouring some hot water into a bowl and adding some herbs, like bee balm, thyme, eucalyptus, or peppermint. You could improve the steam by boiling your water with the herbs before pouring it into bowl for your steam. Make sure to drape a towel over your head to trap in the steam. You could also use essential oils instead of dried herbs, but remember that a little goes a long way.  

 Bee Balm

Fire cider, oxymels, and tincture

I am trying some new things this year, like a sage infused honey and a ginger, sage, and thyme oxymel for the cold and flu season. I also collected some bee balm, which is finally profuse enough in my garden to actually harvest some. I am making a tincture with it, as well as an oxymel. An oxymel, by the way, is an infusion with apple cider vinegar and honey that serves as the menstruum for whatever herb or herbs you choose to use. They are used like a cough syrup and can be taken by the spoonful. I chose bee balm since it is a warming antimicrobial, good for kicking out the cold and discomfort associated with colds and congestion. An oxymel, something new to me, though literally an ancient remedy, is safe for the whole family to use. They will take time though, and I expect it to be ready by the end of November to early December, which is about 4-6 weeks. The bee balm can also be dried to keep on hand for a warming tea or used in a steam to clear nasal passages. The main active ingredient in bee balm is thymol, also found in thyme, which is responsible for them both being good natural decongestants. I might also make  an elderberry oxymel , a more well-known herb for cold season. This can be made with dried elderberries or fresh, if you're lucky enough to have elderberry trees to harvest from. Elderberry can be used in other ways, such as the tried and true elderberry syrup, nourishing infusion or an elderberry tincture. But like fire cider, there are so many things beyond elderberry that can help you with cold symptoms. For more ideas and remedies for cold and flu season, you can find some here by Rosalee de la Foret. She also has a class through Learning Herbs you could take called Herbal Cold Care where she shares many recipes.

Cold symptoms vary and while one cold remedy may be perfect for nasal congestion, it may do nothing for symptoms like dry coughs. This is why it is imperative to analyze the crux of your condition or issue. Herbalism relies on energetics of both you and the herbs you are using. For instance, if we are dry and need moisture, be it in your nose or in your chest, an herb that is moistening like marshmallow can be helpful. Likewise, if you want to move things along and allow air, blood or mucus flow more freely, an energizing herb like cayenne may just be what you need. I realize that the idea of using cayenne may not be your cup of tea, yes pun intended, but if you can stomach a little heat, give it a try sometime. Sickness, though not often welcomed, can be our best opportunity for experimentation. Most herbs in small doses are safe, but always check to see others' recommendations or warnings before using them or giving them to children. I am always trying things to see how they work, especially since I have minions who aren't always willing guinea pigs. True story. However, while my goal isn't really to make them miserable by giving them "horrible" tasting things, I do want to find natural remedies that are palatable and, most importantly, effective. I do not want to rely on store bought concoctions. I find that it is so freeing to be able to find cures and helps for colds, as well as other issues. We CAN help ourselves and our loved ones. It isn't rocket science, but it does take some know-how and time to learn what works and in what situations.  The cure for ignorance is curiosity, which for me fuels my desire to better understand the wonderful world God made for us. We can prepare for winter by making our very own traditional remedies. The best part of this is knowing what we are consuming. That is not always the case when we run to the pharmacy. That, for me, is where this whole journey started. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not the About the Destination

The Luxury of Time

My Happiness Machine